what does everything mean?
At the top and bottom of each database page are one or two arrows, which will take you to the previous or following page of games - there are 10 games on each page, all sorted into alphabetical order by title.
Each entry looks like this:
- This consists of up to three elements:
The last two fields may be absent if the game has not been rated or if the price
is not known. The ratings are:
- The game's title
- The game's rating (how good the game is)
- The recommended retail price of the game
Price is partially taken into account when deciding upon the ratings.
- Pretty good fun
- Okay - nothing to write home about
- Pretty poor, really
- Keep your distance!
- A brief review of the game and some miscellaneous comments are sometimes
- This contains two fields, both or one of which may be absent:
- A link to a site which contains a demo copy of the game
- If there's a review of the game on this site then I'll probably have remembered to link to it here
- Usually the game's publisher, this is the last known contact address for buying the game. Postal, phone, fax, email and web addresses are given where
- This is the number of players who can play the game simultaneously - this doesn't include games with no inter-player interaction.
- This is the game genre, or a brief description of the game type
- This lists the game's compatibility with different Acorn machines and operating systems:
Next to each of the above may appear:
- OS 2:
- RISC OS 2 compatibility information follows
- OS 3:
- RISC OS 3 compatibility information follows (up to, but not including, version 3.5)
- Risc PC compatibility information follows
- StrongARM/RISC OS 3.7 compatibility information follows (if a modification is mentioned then this may be referring to one that either Game On! or StrongGuard performs)
Before these fields sometimes a number followed by 'MB' is given - this is the
minimum amount of memory the game requires to run ('MB' stands for 'megabytes').
- Game works with this operating system/platform
- Game fails with this operating system/platform
- Status of game on this OS/platform is not known
- Game On
- Game requires Game On!. This includes games which run too quickly without it.
- Game On 2
- Game requires Game On 2! but doesn't work with Game On!
- Game requires the free software StrongCache in order to work.
You can download this from http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/d.s.mars/
- Game requires The ARM Club's StrongGuard in order to work
- Game requires the free software AutoCache in order to work
Furthermore, the text 'HD' or 'CD' is also sometimes present in this location, which indicates that
the game requires a harddisc or CD-ROM drive respectively.
...this page last updated: 14/2/99...
...back to the top...
©Gareth Moore 1994-2001|
Acorn Gaming is a completely independent publication and has no official connection with any company
Acorn Gaming is sponsored by